Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ópera de Arame

The Wire Opera House in Curitiba is a must see! I remember seeing it 5 years ago and knew I wanted to go back. It is just so beautiful; all glass and wire on top of water that used to be a rock quarry. There is a waterfall to the left of it and its just breath taking!

Went into one of the souvenir shops and bought myself a canvas bag with all the top places to visit in Curitiba. I love canvas bags...it's my thing. Some people collect shot glasses or post cards; I collect canvas bags!

But earlier in the day we went into two different flea markets! I love seeing old vintage stuff, even if I have to endure the hot smelly buildings! The first one we went into I saw this awesome old (from 1982 - I just called the year I was born in OLD)hand paining of the Curitiba and the trees you find here with this amazing wood frame. In the flea markets here they don't mark items with price tags they put codes on them. So I had Romulo take the painting with him and ask how much it was off of the code on the frame. Wouldn't you know the lady working the market first asked Romulo if he was from around here, Romulo said he wasn't, and without looking at the code she said the cost of the painting was R$583 or $311.

Is she crazy or was this painting a Picasso? Yeah she's crazy because after that I asked about a semi-small glass bowl and she wanted R$200 or $107. No thank you and good bye!

The second one we went into was a little better priced but not as much to look at. I did find an old yellow license plate for a car that was from PR - Curitiba. Okay, it seems funny to buy a car's plate but I wanted to get one or two to put in Kau'e's room. I thought when he was older and wanted a car theme or something decor room I would put this on display or put on a shelf! But I think I got a little ripped off on the price because it was marked for R$60 or $32. After asking the sales person if the price was firm he said that if I went on-line they go for higher, so I took his word and bought it. Wouldn't you know I looked on-line this morning and I can find them for cheaper and these look much more vintage! OH well, I lived and learned. Now, I'm after another one on-line but I have to wait to hear from the seller about shipping! I'm crazy, I know!










No comments: