Monday, January 24, 2011

Thoughts

"Welcome to Motherhood!" is what I heard when I posted on Facebook, "What day it is, What time is it, who am I? yeah I'm tired!" That statement was purely what I felt at the time but now thinking about it its exactly what I had been wanting for so long. Sounds crazy that I wanted to trade in sleepless nights, times of doubt, times of wonder, and so forth but its true. I wouldn't want anything else. There isn't anything more satisfying than seeing your child in your arms or your spouses arms, smile, poop/pee/etc., sleep, make those little horse sounds, etc. Sure there are a lot of things in life that can bring happiness but being a parent has to be one of the happiest feelings in the world.

Our pediatrician is one of the nicest people in the world, he's like one huge teddy bear! We feel so blessed to have one of the best doctors taking care of my little man and we are thankful everyday for my Ob-Gyn setting us up with him. This doctor wasn't taking any more people into his practice but after my water breaking and my Ob knowing we hadn't researched a pediatrician she called in a special favor! One that I'll be grateful for forever. But Dr. E likes to tell all his new parents that "parenthood is one big crash course where only you know the answers or know the questions to ask to get answers".

Our little Kau'e is doing so well. We have been through a lot already in his short little life (almost 1 month old) but both Romulo and I feel like he's been with us the whole time! He is eating, sleeping, pooping so well! Yes, you need to count the bodily functions in there! It's not so easy with a Preemie at times because they aren't on the same scale as a newborn or a full term baby so a lot of times you have to do trial and error. Like with his eating, he wasn't born with the same eating habits/skills as a full term baby so its taken us a little longer to learn who to breastfeed. So this whole time I've been pumping every 3 hours and that milk then is given to Kau'e through a bottle. (Grateful for pumping every 3 hours because it allows me to catch up with things like this; posting on the blog.) When we got discharged from the NICU he was nursing 1 to 2 times a day but now after last Friday's appointment our doctor wants him to try to solely breastfeed every other feeding; trying to get Kau'e used to only nursing and filling up (plus helping my milk supply) because after each breastfeed we would give him a bottle of breast milk. So now we alternate between only nursing and nursing and supplement (with a bottle). Also with every bottle we make up we have to fortify it with a special Preemie formula where we put a teaspoon of this formula to every 120ml of milk for an extra 22 calories. But Kau'e eats really well every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and takes in close to 4oz (80-120ml).

We love him and couldn't feel more blessed than we do right now. We know that the Lord has a hand in all things even when we don't see it.

No comments: