Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Special K



Our newest nickname for Kau'e is "Special K". He is doing so well considering tomorrow he will be 1 week old but really almost 34 weeks (pregnancy). He is in "Big Kid NICU" where all "Feeders and Growers" are placed. Kau'e is only eating about 10% of all his feedings (through a bottle) on his own and the rest goes start into him through a tube that's in his nose. So the only things the doctors and nurses are saying for him to accomplish is to learn how to feed on his own and keep up his weight. He isn't on any medicines, doesn't need help breathing, and sleeps like a champ. He is such a good baby!

Today while I was there we were able to do some Skin To Skin for a good 2 hours. We tried breast feeding, not much luck. But the trick is not necessarily for him to eat right away from the breast but to introduce him to it so when he is stronger he will be able to do it nicely. The doctors and nurses aren't pushing him too much on this because they said that usually the development of sucking and feeding is around 34-35 weeks (pregnancy), so he has some time to learn.

It's hard because when you look at him yes he was a preemie but he was a big preemie and you expect him to do much much more than he's doing. But the staff reassure me that he is doing what he should be doing and it will take some time.

We feel so blessed to be his parents and assigned to be a guardian over him on this earth. I pray every day that I will know exactly what to do and know how I can help his little spirit grow and learn. I feel blessed that I have been able to stay sane through this whole thing. It has its moments but mostly I'm trying to rest and organize things for Little Man to come home; hopefully that's soon!

1 comment:

Mom To Winfield said...

I love the nickname. He is doing so well.