Monday, June 15, 2009

Ro-Ro

As many of you know, my husband's name is Romulo. But in Portuguese the "R" is pronounced as a "H" so in reality when you say Romulo it's Homulo or as many people say "Oh like Home Alone!" :), kind of but NOT really! We just go with it now since his name on paper and by sound is different. (Which I love!) Anyways, one of his many nicknames growing up was Ro (pronounced Ho). As Romulo and I've been married many people have reacted differently to his nickname since well Ho here in America is a bad name and people kind of look at me funny when I'm yelling his nickname when he's down the ail at the grocery store. But I don't care it's his nickname and so doesn't mean what most people think.
Why am I telling you all this? There's a reason because there is a little cartoon show that has a monkey character named Ho-Ho. And now I like to call my husband Ro-Ro (or Ho-Ho) only because of the name and not because I think my husband looks like a monkey!!! When I'm away from my Ro-Ro we like to communicate through the webcam and talk. So yesterday I had him on the webcam and we were talking and my little nephew Zander (nickname for Alexander) came to check it out. Now Zander is 2 years old and loves Ho-Ho. When you ask him "What is Ho-Ho?" he responds with "Ah Monkey!". When Zander was looking at Romulo through the webcam on the computer screen I told Zander that that was my Ro-Ro. Zander quickly looked at me and back to Romulo and said, "No, that not Ho-Ho!" And I said, "Yes, that's my Ro-Ro." . Zander thinking it through said "Ahh, that not Ho-Ho, that's BUZZ!" (Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story). I repeated what Zander said while pointing to Romulo, "That's Buzz?" Zander, "Yes, that Buzz!"
So, my husband has gone from being a Ho (a you know what not very nice word), to Ho-Ho (a monkey), and now Buzz! Can't get any better than that!

1 comment:

Mom To Winfield said...

Lydia,
That's hilarious. I wonder what made Zander think that Romulo was Buzz?Does he think he looks like him or talk like him? We may never know.