That's right I heard a little girl ask her mother the other night what the difference was between Washington and Washington D.C.! I thought gosh simple answer to that everyone knows the difference. Right? Wrong! This mother either didn't listen in history classes or she was caught off guard. But still, come on! So what did she say back to her curious little child. Let me explain below in dialogue.
Little Girl: "Mom what's the difference between Washington and Washington D.C.?"
Mother: "Ones a city and the other one is a special city!" (My thoughts: What are you serious the last time I checked Washington was a STATE not a city and well D.C. is a special city.)
Little Girl: "Why is D.C. more important than Washington?" (Umm little girl it just is...haha sorry I'm from Northern Va it's really close to D.C. and really far from the STATE of Washington!)
Mother: "Who says D.C. is more important?" (Okay again, hello lady your daughter was meaning: important events, D.C. is where many important things are taken care of that do effect you!)
Little Girl: "Well isn't Obama there?" (OH yes child. Good thing she knew our Presidents name.)
Mother: "He lives in the White House."
Little Girl: again asks, "But why is D.C. more important than Washington?" (Good thing I had to go the other way because by the way this conversation was going I was about to butt in and correct the mother and give the little girl a very detailed lesson on how, why, when, etc D.C. was made.)
C'mon people don't we know why D.C. is important? It's just our Nations Capital, that's all! Okay I must admit maybe I am a little more passionate about this topic because I lived so near but still it's our American Culture/History. We need to know these simple answers. And know that Washington is a STATE! One of the 50 states that make up this great nation!
Another bit of advise adults, if you don't know the answer just tell your child you don't know and tell them they can look the answer up with you! So you both can learn something.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I totally understand! I graduated from a high school in New Mexico and we had members of the senate tell us they couldn't do anything for us because we were not part of the USA. Don't they teach geography anymore?
Emma came into my office the other day and it totally made me miss you guys. I hope you guys are doing good. Just wanted to let ya know that I was thinking about ya.
I remember listening to a radio show where they were giving prizes for answering questions correctly.
This question was on for three days before someone got it right. "What do the 13 stripes on the American flag represent?"
I know, sad.
Post a Comment