Monday, June 1, 2015

Keeping Life's Demands in Balance

M. Russell Ballard gave a talk in April 1987 called, Keeping Life's Demands in Balance. I really was drawn to this talk because for the past week and a half I've been challenging myself to keeping our family's finances in check and to organize our family documents (passports, birth certificates, ss cards, etc.) for my religion class. It has been fun to do; though some stresses like having to buy more camping gear for Romulo with his new YM calling. But overall, I have been challenged in good ways to solving problems. Organizing myself by taking inventory of the house, food, etc. I have also cut some cost in eating out by finding new recipes that I'm craving, like Indian Butter Chicken, and making it. It was fun. I love to cook so I find it relaxing even with a new recipe.

Elder Ballard said, "As most of you know, coping with the complex and diverse challenges of everyday life, which is not an easy task, can upset the balance and harmony we seek. Many good people who care a great deal are trying very hard to maintain balance, but they sometimes feel overwhelmed and defeated....we all face these kinds of struggles from time to time. They are common human experiences. Many people have heavy demands upon them stemming from parental, family, employment, church, and civic responsibilities. Keeping everything in balance can be a real problem....A periodic review of the covenants we have made with the Lord will help us with our priorities and with balance in our lives. This review will help us see where we need to repent and change our lives to ensure that we are worthy of the promises that accompany our covenants and sacred ordinances. Working out our own salvation requires good planning and a deliberate, valiant effort....set short-term goals that you can reach. Set goals that are well balanced—not too many nor too few, and not too high nor too low. Write down your attainable goals and work on them according to their importance. Pray for divine guidance in your goal setting."

This class this week really made me realize I can set small goals and achieve them. Sure does it help to have a deadline, sure, but it also made me realize I can do these short term goals on my own. Make a list and then number them in importance. Here's to a new start in checking those boxes on my checklist!

No comments: