Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Yara Johns Aguilar

Yara Johns Aguilar 8.20.12 7lbs 12oz 20in at 1:02pm

Yara from the Tupi spoken native language of Brazil means Mermaid or Mother of the Water.


Events:


August 20 2012

-Woke up with mild contractions around 3am.  Timed them but they were all random but still knew it was true labor contractions!  
-Finally decided to get up and get ready for the hospital around 7am.  I remember wanting to organize and clean everything that I came across.  I remember telling my mom that it was just false labor that I could breathe thru it and it would be no big deal.  I also remember telling her that if I go to the hospital and I'm not dilated anymore than from my last ob appointment I was coming home.  I didn't want to be put on pitocin.
-Got in hospital bed at 7:45am, dilated 4cm 80% -2 and before I knew it I was being wheeled to the Labor and delivery department!
-Was taken to L&D room at 9am room 163
-Got first round of penicillin at 9:10am since I was positive for strep b/group b
-Saw Dr Mills at 10:30am, dilated to 6-7cm, 100% effaced -1.  She wanted to break my water then but couldn't believe of me needing more penicillin in the body.
-Dad came in to visit from his shift. He was there until mom came through the door and they both saw the spinal block.
-Contractions got intense and felt like needing to push around 11:15am.  Same urges as Kau’e and this got me thinking that I needed some meds so I could make it through a vaginal birth. The contractions were crazy strong and my body wanted to push even though I was trying not to push.  I got in trouble with kau'e when this happened because my cervix started to swell from pushing but not being ready to push.  So this time I knew I needed some help to calm down and get ready for a vaginal birth.
-Dr Mills came back and rechecked, 8cm, 100% plus 1 plus broke water.  She knew that I would be cutting it close with this delivery and not finishing up the meds for strep b but she also knew my body was in control and wanted to deliver this baby.  
-11:30am Tried to get an epidural but cords were preventing the medicine to be injected through, had to take epidural out of back and get spinal block only.  This is when it was crazy intense.  I gave in a said yes to the epidural since it felt so familiar with her as Kau'e's birth.  But for whatever reason when the doctor got everything put in my back for the meds she couldn't push the needle to deliver the meds for an epidural.  There was some blockage somewhere in my back or the cords that deliver the meds to the back area.  Everyone was standing there looking at her while I tried to breath thru the contractions but leaning over which isn't really easy to do when your 9 plus months pregnant and having contractions!  Dr Mills and her decided that if she could get a spinal block in me that within an hour I could have this baby since I was ready!  But Dr Mills told me that I had an hour to have this baby for the meds wore off.  This was like Kau'e.  They gave me a spinal block and told me I had 1 hour until it wore off to have him but it took me 2 hours of pushing to deliver Kau'e so yeah, no meds helped me when I needed.  I had him without the help of meds!  But after telling Dr Mills this she said that there was no way I would be pushing for 2 hours I was ready!
-After spinal block legs were really heavy and numb.  Could still feel contraction pressure coming and going but no pain.  I remember my upper lip and chin area being itchy.  I couldn't stop itching them.    
-Pushed for about an hour, 6 rounds of 3 pushes in a minute.  While pushing I was able to look at myself in a mirror and this really helped me in seeing the progress of my pushing!  Last time I had to rely on Romulo, which was great, but this time I could really see and get motivated to push.  I had Romulo and my mom on one side, my right, and my nurse Ruth, amazing nurse, on the other side…and later my sister Sarah joined from her break from her shift.  
-Around 12:45pm my sister Sarah came in for a quick lunch visit, and that was around round 4-5 of pushing
-Romulo, Mom, Sarah were able to witness birth of Yara Johns Aguilar at 1:02pm
-I tore pretty bad, 2 degree plus two other places.  I also lost a lot of blood.  The labor was fast and furious so this is why I had lost a lot of blood and tore.  
-Ellen came walking through the door around 1:10pm…missed the delivery by 8 minutes.
-Yara’s weight at birth 8/20/12 1:02pm 7lbs 12oz 20inches long head 13(something) apcard score 9.9 at 1 and 5 minutes…not sure on 10 minute score
-After, she was given to Romulo to hold.  He held her in the rocking chair and sang to her.  She did not say a word just looked at her dad and the world around her.  It was precious, wish I had a picture of it.  But glad it is in my memory. 
-Dad came back to visit after Yara was born.  He later came to visit her after his shift at 7:45pm.  She was alert and looking around and he got to hold her some more!
-Yara came straight to my chest after birth and stayed there for a long time.  She was looking around and screaming beautifully.  It was so amazing how beautiful she was laying on my chest.  I longed for this experience when I had Kau'e.  He was taken so fast and only given to me for 10 seconds before he was off to the NICU.  But with Yara I had as long as I wanted and this was beautiful.  I kept thinking when they would take her but I didn't care as long as she was breathing and healthy.  It was also a great distraction to hold her while Dr Mills worked to stitch me up.  
-At 1:45pm-2:15pm she came to breast and feed beautifully.  She has such a strong suck and was ready to go at it! 
-After she was finished she went with the nurse and Romulo to be taken for a bath.  She pooped.
-While they were gone I got to be by myself and rest…and email/text pictures of little girl to family/friends
-At 2:50pm got some mortin since I was pretty sore from tearing, pushing, etc.
-3:05pm at to new room (177) and little girl came following after. 
-She has the softest blackest straight hair; might have a widow’s peak.  Little heart shape face, big eyes with my eyebrows, and a memom nose.  She is tiny in structure…not like Kau’e where he had big head and shoulders.  She is long and lean, long fingers, long toes.  She loves her hands near her face/mouth just like Kau’e.  Her ears are little like mine.  Her lips are like Kau’e’s and Romulo’s.  She is B+ just like Kau’e and Romulo. 
-Around 4pm, Marian came and brought Kau’e for a visit.  It was special to have my little family together for the first time!  It was crazy to think that I had another child.  Seeing Kau'e made me realize how big of a boy he was even though he was only 19 months and 3 weeks old!  He smiled and loved on her.  Kau’e gave Yara 2 kisses on the head.  Otherwise he was all interested in the crib, the food chart, and the bathroom door!  The visit was short but sweet.  They brought us a “it’s a girl” balloon.  Marian got to hold Yara for a few minutes before they left.  They then went to visit Grand-Dad. This was the first time I had ever been away from Kau'e.  My heart ached a little to know that he wouldn't be held by me tonight while going to bed.  I knew he was in good hands though.  But my heart still ached since I knew my little boy wasn't my little boy anymore!  
-Yara came in three times during the night to feed.  Every time she came in she was awake and alert, looking around.  At one point we put her in one of our pink poka-dot and white outfits.  She looks so heavenly, plus wrapped her in one of the blankets MeMom made for her.
-Yara shares a special birthday with someone in our family.  She shares her birthday with her other girl cousin, Brighton.  Brighton was the first grand-daughter to be born on the Johns’ side and now Yara is the second and they share the same day.  We feel it will be a special bond between the two.  (Brighton was born 8/20/10.)

August 21
-Hearing Test for little girl was awesome, she did great.  My brother and sister-in-law came to visit us in the hospital.  Brought us lunch and got to meet the little girl!  It was nice seeing them.  Sarah came in too during the evening before heading home from her shift.  

August 22
-That morning I remember wanting to go home so bad.  Sure I loved the stay at the hospital but I knew I wanted to be home with my little kau'e and this new baby girl.  Sure I knew it would be crazy busy but I wanted that experience.  Yara's discharged weight 7lbs 3.5oz

August 23
-Saw Dr Groeber 7lbs 5oz; up from discharge weight









2 comments:

Laura said...

CONGRATS!!! She is beautiful (of course).

Chris & Kimber said...

I love seeing all of the pics of your beautiful little girl. She is so precious. We are so excited for you guys and this wonderful addition to your family.