Sunday, December 5, 2010

Now What?

At Thanksgiving's Black Friday shopping, my Mom bought me a very basic Singer sewing machine. Now, I come from a line of great sewers. My great-grandmother did a lot of local sewing in her community to bring in extra income for her family and my mom even remembers her making dresses for her when she was little out of grain/oat/flower sacks (she even dyed them herself with fruits(like cranberries)and veggies(like carrots) - how organic can that be), my Aunt Vicki and Mom are amazing sewers but for some reason I never learned.
Sure, I remember growing up asking to learn but life got away from me especially since I was way into sports. But here I am 28 and pregnant with our first baby and I feel the NEED to learn. So I have to say I am most grateful for this opportunity to learn but NOW WHAT DO I DO with this sewing machine? (And yes, I even GOOGLED "How to Sew?".)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you need to find a friend to teach you the basics. there are absolutely TONS of stuff you can make just by learning to sew a straight line. See if one of your visiting teachers knows how to sew and then ask them to come teach you, to count as a visit this month! learning to sew is definitely something that needs to be learned, hands-on!

Chris & Kimber said...

thats super fun. I love my sewing machine. you will pick it up and love it. i kind of just taught myself how to do it. picking out fabric is my favorite part. can't wait to see the projects that ya do.

Chris & Kimber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gretchen said...

Remember 8th grade home ec when we sewed? I felt so confident with a sewing machine then. I got one for Xmas last year and haven't used it yet. But I have PLANS, oh do I have plans. Emily (my sister) taught me how to thread it once, so I got a mini refresher course, but still haven't bit the bullet and tried something. Start with a pillowcase, that's my plan. I think you can also go to like Jo-Ann fabrics and they offer classes for like $25.

Charlo said...

I also have a super basic singer and the tread sometimes doesn't sew right...loops a lot on the bottom. I finally figured out that the thread falls of the up and down part (not the needle, the other one) a lot. I'm just barely giving it another try, and really liking. so don't give up if it does that, just re-rout the tread and make sure it is threaded correctly.

Start with something basic like a pillowcase or a apron. that is what I've been doing, and it's been great learning. I do know some basic things though, from my mom. as long as you know how to read a pattern, and you start with the simple things, it shouldn't be to bad.