The long careful days of summer are over for the Aguilar family. Tomorrow Kau'e will start a new school year at Pre-K at Mountain View with the same teacher and assistant as last year; Maryann Childs and Ms Kelly. I felt so relieved when we got news that he would be with the same teacher as last year even though he will not be going to his homeschool of Ken Culbert. He will be getting on the bus at 7:09 am instead of 7:36 am; ouch. And not sure yet what time he will arrive home. But school is in at 7:50 and gets out at 11:50 am and he will go again all 5 days of the week for the whole school year. I am excited for him because I have seen how much he has missed school. He loves the structure and learning environment. I thought by the variety of activities we did this summer would be enough for him but he likes knowing he is learning within the same 4 walls of his classroom. He really doesn't handle the open unstructured world. It reminds me of his first few days after birth when nurses and doctors telling me that when a preemie is born they are unsure of themselves outside of utero and need us to give them their boundaries by placing one of our hands on the top of his head and the other on the bum or near his feet. It gives preemies a sense of relief and security. It's all interesting to me!
It was a long summer with Kau'e and there were many days I didn't know what to do with him. I tried to give him coloring books, puzzles, books, playing on playground time, going to the pool, going to dc museums, beach in Brazil, Brazil in general, etc. etc. but he fought me on everything. He didn't handle transitioning well even when I thought we were over that by the end of school year. I tried to show him pictures of where we were going, tell him over and over where we were going, etc. but nothing seemed to work he didn't want to do what we wanted. And let me tell you he is a loud crier and is a heavy 50 pound 3.5 year old. The summer was a time I had hoped with a goal to have him potty trained; nope! He fought me and actually backtracked a few steps. Hopefully school can help with this!
We love Maryann (Mayhouse as Kau'e calls her) and Kelly. We were so happy to see them on Friday for the open house they had for his group! Here's to a good school year for 2014-2015 MT View Moose!
Monday, September 1, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment