Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Newborn Visit

Since Kau'e is a preemie he gets extra visits to the doctors to make sure everything is going well with his weight, height, etc and today was his "newborn" visit. And today Kau'e weighted in at 9 lbs 4 oz (12 days ago when we lasted went to the doctors he was 7 lbs 8 oz), height 21 1/2 inches, and head 37. He is doing so well that we don't need to fortify the breast milk anymore! Our pediatrician is super impressed with our little man and when he saw his weight gain he said that we had a "little piggy on our hands" and that we weren't doing good we were doing GREAT! Sure Kau'e nurses for 40 minutes total and then I have to hold him for another hour or so (he has a little acid reflux), and then I have to pump for another 20 minutes because this "little piggy" likes to eat extra after he nurses those 40 minutes! And then after all of that I get to wait another hour until he wakes up so we can do it all over again! (He eats every 3 hours and consumes about 50-75 ml after every nurse. But when we only give him the bottle (because he's a preemie he doesn't always like to do thing that full terms do so when he doesn't feel like nursing we have to give him a bottle) he takes in about 120ml of breast milk.)
I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining because I'm not but it does take commitment and love! After visits like today from the doctor I get recharged and feel like I can continue. Our pediatrician gave me the mom an A for all the hard work. The middle of the nights are the hardest but I'm getting used to it.
So after today's visit we continue doing what we are doing minus the fortified milk and then head back to the doctors in two weeks Feb 16(day before Kau'e's original due date 17th of Feb)! It's just so hard to imagine this kid being inside of me knowing how he's been gaining and that's outside of the uterus. So I feel blessed that he did come early and that everything worked out fine!

3 comments:

Mom To Winfield said...

Keep up the good work and committment. Kau'e is reaping the benefits of a loving and selfless mommy. Lots of love.

Mom To Winfield said...

Keep up the good work and committment. Kau'e is reaping the benefits of a loving and selfless mommy. Lots of love.

The Allred's said...

You are doing an amazing job. I know breastfeeding is hard but it is so worth it. You have a beautiful family.