Monday, November 23, 2009

Feeling Sentimental!

I'm taking a friends challenge and feeling sentimental about my husband so I'm tagged.


1. HOW DID YOU MEET YOUR SPOUSE?

This might be long but I will make it as short as possible. I'm from Northern Va and Romulo is from Brazil. He served his mission in the Washington DC South mission; which covers my home town of Purcellville, Va. Romulo's second area was in my home ward Hamilton. I met him a few times while on his mission. But it was when he was going home my older sister "kindly" exchanged my information with him. After his mission Romulo was planning on heading to Utah for school and I was going to be living in Utah for the summer; reason why my sister gave him my information. I was suppose to be his ride from the airport. Long story short, we talked a lot on Skype, im, and phone. After a month and a half I flew to Brazil to meet him and his family.

2. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST DATE?
Romulo picking me up from the airport?! :) After he picked me up from the airport he took me to a little restaurant in Sao Paulo (Brazil) and we ate gnocchi.

3. HOW LONG DID YOU DATE BEFORE YOU GOT ENGAGED?
On our 3rd date he proposed to me. But we had been talking long distance a month and a half.

4. HOW DID YOUR FIANCE PROPOSE?
We were in Guaruja (a little island/beach outside of Sao Paulo) and there is a little hippy craft fair there along the beach. After we ate dinner, we headed to the fair. We were walking around enjoying the sites, people, and crafts when we decided to split up and buy a gift for each other. We decided on 3 reias which at the time was $1. I found a girl who spoke good enough English to help with my NO Portuguese. We met up outside the fair and started to walk along the beach. We sat down after a while and started to exchange gifts. I gave Romulo a leather braided necklace. Romulo gave me 3 gifts which the last one was two chrome rings. When he was presenting the rings I had no idea that he was proposing to me. It wasn't until he started to explain to me that in Brazil the custom was for both the girl and guy to were their wedding bands on their right ring finger while engaged and then when they get married they switch it over to the left ring finger. It all was a blur because I didn't expect it. I expected it but not at that time.

5. WHAT JOBS DID YOU TWO HAVE WHILE YOU WERE ENGAGED?
None. Romulo had just gotten off his mission and was in Brazil for 3 months before heading to school. I wasn't working that summer.

6. HOW LONG WERE YOU ENGAGED?
Engaged July 2 2004 and got married Sept 3 2004 so 2 months.

7. HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT MARRIED?
I was 21 (3 weeks shy of my 22nd birthday). Romulo was 26 (his birthday is in July).

8. WHEN DID YOU GET MARRIED?
September 3, 2004

9. WHAT WERE YOUR COLORS?
Red and Creamy

10. HOW MANY BRIDESMAIDS DID YOU HAVE?
5 (my sisters Sarah, Marian, Ellen, and Emma plus my sister-in-law Molly Kay)

11. WHO WAS YOUR MAID OF HONOR?
Caroline

12. WHERE WAS THE CEREMONY?
Washington DC Temple

13. DID YOU HAVE A DJ OR BAND?
DJ ; super fun!

14. DID YOU HAVE A SONG YOU DANCED TO AND WHAT WAS IT?
Yes. My Valentine by Martina Mcbride; which my sister-in-law sang.

15. DID ANYTHING GO WRONG AT THE WEDDING OR RECEPTION?
Nope. It was perfect. And thankfully I had it recorded.

16.. WHAT CAR DID YOU LEAVE IN AND WHAT DID IT LOOK LIKE?
My parents car; Subaru Forester.

17. WHERE DID YOU GO FOR YOUR HONEYMOON?
Since we got married over Labor Day weekend and Romulo had just started school we really didn't get a "traditional honeymoon". We drove across country to Utah for Romulo to get back to school. But we spent our Wedding night in the Red Fox Inn (a bed and breakfast) that opened in 1728 and later in 1748 George Washington visited and stayed. Its on the National Register of Historic Places. The room we stayed in was the Martha Washington room. It was so lovely!

18. WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT?
The feeling that life couldn't be happier than this and feeling like I was going to explode with joy! And the next day after we got married eating the top of our wedding cake with my family; red velvet cake! Oh so yummy!

19. WOULD YOU HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IF YOU COULD?
Eating the food that was catered by June Scott! She did a beautiful job.

20. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN MARRIED?
5 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days.

I love you Romulo!

2 comments:

Mom To Winfield said...

How sweet, you guys are an awesome couple.

molly kay said...

I loved reading that- I don't know if I can remember every detail for us! I used to think I would never forget but some of it is getting hazy after 12 years!Hope we see you soon!